SKILLcard further extends support for redundant workersTuesday, April 6, 2021 9:33 AM
BESA and SKILLcard are continuing their support for redundant workers by extending the ability to apply for and renew SKILLcards free of charge until 30th June 2021. The initiative was initially launched in July 2020 to cover the period up to the end of December 2020. It was extended to 31st March 2021 and now extended again to continue vital support to individuals in the sector.
Anyone who suffered redundancy as a result of the Covid-19 crisis since March 1 will have their fees waived if they apply before 30th June 2021.
Engineering Services SKILLcard is one of the construction industry’s largest skills certification registers with more than 64,000 card holders across the UK. As a BESA group company, SKILLcard is the card and registration scheme for the mechanical sector of the building engineering services industry in the UK and is used by heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration specialists to provide proof of competence and qualifications. Applicants must still hold the relevant qualifications and certificates, but if they can provide evidence of redundancy they will not be charged the £40 fee when completing their renewal or application process.
- SKILLcard applications and renewals will be free for those made redundant during the COVID-19 period
- This will apply to individuals made redundant from 1st March – 30th June 2021
- The £40 fee will be waived for qualifying individuals making applications or renewals during the period of 1st August – 30th June 2021
- Applicants still need to have all the relevant qualifications and certificates
- Applicants need to provide 2 forms of evidence via upload to the SKILLcard system
- P45 plus one of the following
- Notice of termination / redundancy from the employer, or
- A letter from the employer confirming the employee was made redundant
- Applicants follow the normal online process but at checkout / payment screen, check the ‘Apply for a free SKILLcard’ box and upload the required documents
- Free cards are valid for one year from date of issue
We would encourage anyone effected by redundancy or employers considering redundancies to explore options for jobs or re-deployment of staff on the new Construction Talent Retention Scheme.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with the SKILLcard team on skillcard.info@theBESA.com or 01768 860406.