SKILLcards made free for redundant workersWednesday, July 29, 2020 9:28 AM
SKILLcard are waiving the card fee for those affected by redundancy in order to help retain vital skills in the sector and support our skilled workers. This is a significant financial investment by SKILLcard in the future of the industry but seen by the company as the right thing to do.
Holding the relevant card is an essential part of finding work in our sector, enabling individuals to demonstrate relevant qualifications, skills and experience for their occupation.
Over 500,000 people left the industry in the last recession so SKILLcard want to do whatever it can to ensure the sector doesn’t lose skilled workers because of a short-term downturn and support individuals back into work.
See details below:
- SKILLcard applications and renewals will be free for those made redundant during the COVID-19 period
- This will apply to individuals made redundant from 1st March – 31st October 2020
- The £40 fee will be waived for qualifying individuals making applications or renewals during the period of 1st August – 31st October 2020
- Applicants still need to have all the relevant qualifications and certificates
- Applicants need to provide 2 forms of evidence via upload to the SKILLcard system
- P45 plus one of the following
- Notice of termination / redundancy from the employer, or
- A letter from the employer confirming the employee was made redundant
- Applicants follow the normal online process but at checkout / payment screen, check the ‘Apply for a free SKILLcard’ box and upload the required documents
- Free cards are valid for one year from date of issue
We would encourage anyone effected by redundancy or employers considering redundancies to explore options for jobs or re-deployment of staff on the new Construction Talent Retention Scheme.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with the SKILLcard team on skillcard.info@theBESA.com or 01768 860406.