SKILLcard Route for Ventilation Hygiene Occupations
Which CRO cards are affected?
- Ductwork Cleaning Specialist
- Kitchen Grease Extract Operative/Technician
- Ventilation Hygiene Specialist
Why has SKILLcard closed this CRO route?
SKILLcard is a partner card scheme of CSCS and is authorised to carry the CSCS logo. SKILLcard is committed, alongside all CSCS partner card schemes, to deliver to the Construction Leadership Council’s (CLC) 2025 vision. As a result, card schemes carrying the CSCS logo including SKILLcard, must only certify those occupations with nationally recognised construction related qualifications, i.e., NVQ/SVQ Level 2 or approved equivalents.
What is the closure timetable?
For Ventilation Hygiene personnel with Construction Related Cards (CRO) issued based on an employer’s endorsement SKILLcard will no longer accept new application from the 1st November 2019. Renewal applications will no longer be accepted.
We would like to reassure all existing CRO cardholders that their current card remains valid until the expiry date shown on the card and should be accepted for site entry.
What card should I apply for instead?
Applicants have several options available:
- If you are registered on a Level 3 Apprenticeship Building Services Engineering Ventilation Hygiene Technician – sign up for a free Trainee card.
- If you already have the relevant SCQF Level 5: Ventilation Hygiene Certificate apply for a blue skilled worker card.
- If you have successfully completed your Level 3 Apprenticeship in Building Services Engineering Ventilation Hygiene Technician – apply for a gold skilled worker card.
* As a result of the changes to TR19 and the introduction of a specific document to cover Grease, BESA Academy will be updating the existing suite of GHO/GHT/AHO/AHT training courses that were developed to support the sector and individuals to become competent. More information to follow.
**For those cardholders issued with a Blue or Gold SKILLcard under the BESA Academy GHO/GHT/AHO/AHT course, BESA Academy are introducing an upskilling course to reflect the changes made to TR19 as a pathway for those who completed the courses mapped to previous versions – further details on the uplift courses will be made available from the Academy shortly.
At the point of renewal cardholders that have obtained a Blue/Gold SKILLcard via the GHO/GHT/AHO/AHT training courses will be renewed onto a ‘Green’ SKILLcard until the new uplift courses are available.
Need more guidance?
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the SKILLcard team.