How to apply for a new SKILLcard
If you are new to the industry, then follow our simple guidelines below
How to apply online for your SKILLcard
Applying online for your SKILLcard is an easy 3 step process:
1. You can find out which SKILLcard is right for you by clicking here - your level of qualification will determine which type of SKILLcard you require.
2. Pass your mandatory H&S test by clicking here - you must pass the appropriate level of H&S test within the last two years - you may be exempt if you have undertaken appropriate certified health & safety training within the last two years, a list of those courses can be found here.
3. Complete your online SKILLcard application by clicking here - please see below for the supporting documentation you will need before getting started.
What you need before you start your online application
- A passport standard photograph saved to your computer - see photo guidelines below
- An electronic copy of your health and safety certificate saved to your computer
- NVQ/SVQ registration details if applying for the Red Trainee SKILLcard or the Blue Experienced Worker’s SKILLcard
- An electronic copy of any qualifications or certificates you may hold, saved to your computer
- Name and address of your employing organisation or an organisation you are sub-contracting to
- A contact name and email address of a Manager supporting your application
- Credit/Debit card details
Once you have submitted your online evidence to the SKILLcard portal, your application is not complete until your ‘employer’s endorsement’ has been approved and submitted online. A guide for employer's endorsement can be downloaded here.
Incomplete applications will be withdrawn after six months.
Your photo must be:
• be clear, in focus and in colour
• be a close-up of your full head and upper shoulders
• contain no other objects or people
• be in clear contrast to the background
• be one of the following file types: jpg / png / jpeg /bmp / gif
• be no more than 4MB in size
• be facing forward and looking straight at the camera
• have your eyes open, visible and free from reflection or glare from glasses
• not have hair in front of your eyes
• not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
Your application may be delayed if your photo does not meet these guidelines.
We aim to have your SKILLcard with you within 5-10 working days, providing you meet the full criteria.
The cost of a new SKILLcard is £40 exc VAT.