Experienced worker route

This card is issued to those who have missed the chance to obtain a SKILLcard by Industry Accreditation (sometimes referred to as 'grandfather rights') and who have no formal industry qualifications.

To get a SKILLcard by the Experienced Worker route you will need to register for an NVQ/SVQ Level 2 or 3 relevant to your trade or occupation and complete an NVQ/SVQ profile with an assessor (for a list of assessment centres, click here). The Experienced Worker card is issued while an NVQ/SVQ is being achieved.  It should be replaced by a five-year SKILLcard on achievement of NVQ/SVQ Level 2 or higher.

All applicants must meet the SKILLcard health and safety requirements before applying for an Experienced Worker card.

This card is valid for three years and is non-renewable.

occupations available

Find out which areas of work are covered by SKILLcard.


cards available

See what SKILLcards are available, and find the one for you.


how to apply

All you need to apply for your SKILLcard.